Coastal Virginia swimming pool pumps are the heart of our pools, and as such, require a bit of tender loving care. Just as any piece of machinery that needs to be cleaned and maintained in order to continue running, swimming pool pumps require cleaning and regular maintenance in order to extend their life. Coastal Virginia pool cleaning services teamed up to bring you a list of essential maintenance steps that should be performed on your swimming pool pump on a weekly basis. Whether you perform these steps yourself, or hire a professional is up to you.
Weekly Cleaning Routine
First, it is important to understand the role of the swimming pool pump and how taking a few minutes each week to care for it can save you money long term. Together with your filter, the pump is responsible for circulating your pool water and keeping the debris, dirt and other contaminants out. It is also the piece most likely to break due to wear and tear. Here are a few steps you can take to prevent that from happening:
- Keep the deck area around the pump free of dirt and debris, and dust the vents to ensure air is flowing freely
- Check your filter and remove any dirt, debris, hair and other items in it. By ensuring your filter is clean, you will not place as much strain on your motor.
- The pump motor does NOT need to be lubricated, as this will cause damage to the rubber seals and actually attract more dirt and debris.
- If you find any cracking or torn seals, they need to be replaced before the pump can be turned back on. This ensures you are not placing extra strain on the motor, and aren’t going to end up with a bigger problem down the road.
- Refer to your user’s manual for the amount of pressure the pump should be using. If it is 10psi or higher than suggested, it may be time to backwash your pump.
- Like any motor, not all noise is bad. If you do notice a high pitched whine or noises louder than usual, it is a good sign that something in the pump is not working properly.
By performing preventative maintenance on your poop pump, you are not only extending its life, but also keeping your pool water contaminant free, while keeping your electric bill down. If the maintenance becomes too much to handle on your own, contact ASP Coastal Virginia pool cleaning services to help! Our friendly technicians would be glad to help with all of your swimming pool needs.